Join our Team
ANERA advances the well-being of Palestinian families and poor communities in Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon through health, development, education and humanitarian relief programs. We are currently seeking qualified candidates to fill the following positions at our headquarters in Washington, DC.
Director of Donor Development in Washington DC
Position: Director of Donor Development
Job Status: Exempt, full-time
Reports to: Vice President for New Business Development and Fundraising
ANERA, a leader in development and relief specialized in the Middle East and particularly the Palestinian people, is seeking an experienced director of donor development at its headquarters in Washington.
The successful candidate will raise funds in support and promotion of ANERA’s mission to improve lives of the most vulnerable people in Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon.
As director of donor development you will be expected to identify and cultivate relationships with new prospective donors, solicit contributions from existing donors, and steward relationships with major donors. You will implement a system that encourages increased giving at all levels.
The position will require you to make independent judgment calls and take initiative while working in a collaborative, fast-paced, creative environment with a small fundraising and communications team. You will also work closely with the ANERA Board of Directors – specifically the development committee and advisory council – to raise funds and expand ANERA’s donor base.
- Cultivate existing and new individual donors to increase private support for ANERA
- Solicit restricted and unrestricted gifts from major donors and family foundations
- Ensure proper stewardship of donors, including monitoring and reporting on restricted gifts
- Assist in creating and sending special mailings to donors
- Maintain donor files and contact records in the database
- Manage cultivation and appreciation activities, including personally acknowledging gifts
- Collaborate as a member of the team that plans and executes ANERA’s Annual Gala Dinner, with a particular focus on securing sponsorships
- Coordinate fundraising gatherings throughout the year, in multiple locations throughout the US.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong understanding of all aspects of fundraising theory and practice, either through on-the-job training or course work
- 3-5 years of progressive fundraising experience with an emphasis on major donor gifts and event planning
- Strong command of MS Office Suite and experience working with fundraising databases; knowledge of Salesforce a plus
- Background and interest in the Middle East/Arab world preferred; Arabic language skills a plus
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Excellent analytical and communication skills
- Strong presentation skills and effective telephone presence
- Ability to write brief proposals and reports for individual donors
- Proven organizational skills and ability to multitask under tight deadlines
- Ability to travel – domestically and to the Middle East (once yearly)
- CFRE or CFM certification a plus
- Experience with the management of volunteers and interns preferred
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Donor Development” in the subject line.
Vice President of Philanthropy in Washington DC
ANERA is one of the largest US non-profit organizations providing development, health, education and job creation programs in the West Bank, Gaza, and Lebanon. In fiscal year 2014, with a global staff of over 100, ANERA implemented programs worth more than $63 million.
We are pleased to announce an exciting opportunity for an experienced vice president of philanthropy who will provide vision and oversight to further develop ANERA’s fundraising operations and increase unrestricted and restricted program revenue. With oversight of a headquarters fundraising staff of five, the vice president is responsible for all of ANERA’s fundraising operations directed at individual, corporate and institutional donors including oversight of direct mail, planned giving, individual donor relations, and online donations. This collaborative and highly effective team works in conjunction with the field staff in raising a multi-million dollar annual fund, communicates with an online list of over 30,000, and provides financial stewardship to a list of over 8,000 individual donors in 30 countries annually.
As a member of the senior management team, this position coordinates with the president, chief financial officer, vice president for new business development, and country directors to provide leadership and management of all ANERA activities, and collaborates with the board of directors.
Role & Responsibilities
- In coordination with the president and various stakeholders, initiates and implements a long-term strategy for growth
- Creates and/or manages administrative systems that will facilitate growth goals and improve ANERA’s overall operations
- Leads and mentors a fundraising team of five staff responsible for the cultivation and solicitation of major individual, foundation and corporate donors through all vehicles.
- Raises funds by meeting a yearly goal that is based on personal solicitation of donors
- Oversees preparation for ANERA’s annual fundraising dinner
- Manages, with the president, the execution of international fundraising efforts, including government donations
- Represents ANERA at select donor and membership gatherings
- Oversees composition and review of high-level funding proposals and reports on major gifts
- Becomes proficient with legal requirements applicable to ANERA as a US not-for-profit organization engaged in the Middle East
Budgetary Management and Agency Administration
- Coordinates with the chief financial officer on financial matters
- Develops departmental and revenue budgets with participation of relevant team members and in conjunction with the president
- Approves and monitors fundraising team expenses and budgets
- Drafts suitable policies and procedures to guide all fundraising related efforts
- University degree with 8-10 years of experience in fund development with at least 3 years of experience at a senior level; CFRE preferred
- Exceptional knowledge of non-profit fundraising and resource generation and demonstrated success in raising six-figure gifts from donors and funders
- Strong communication, strategic, and leadership skills, as well as the capacity and desire to work in an environment of consensus-based decision-making and highly effective cross-disciplinary cooperation
- Proven track record of senior management, with supervision of staff, and an ability to manage multiple tasks, especially on a remote basis
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising operations, fundraising communications, donor stewardship, event management, and fundraising ethics, as well as ability to analyze and improve fundraising systems
- Proposal writing and grant solicitation experience preferred
- Knowledge of the Middle East preferred
- Ability to travel to Gaza, West Bank, Lebanon, and willingness to travel domestically to visit with current and prospective donors (up to 20% of the time)
- Values that are consistent with ANERA’s, which are based on collaboration, entrepreneurship, high ethical standards, accuracy and a driven desire to make a difference in the lives of families throughout the Middle East
How to Apply
Send resume and brief letter of interest to email@example.com. “Vice President | Philanthropy” should be clearly stated in the subject line. No phone calls will be accepted. No recruiters. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
Program Manager in Washington, DC
Job Title: Program Manager (In-Kind)
Job Status: Exempt
Reports to: President
For more than 45 years ANERA has channeled quality donations of critically needed items – such as medicines for chronic conditions, hospital equipment, over-the-counter drugs, and health care supplies – that would not otherwise be available to poor communities in Palestine and Lebanon. In fiscal year 2014 alone, ANERA delivered 42 shipments of donated goods worth more than $40 million to the Middle East.
ANERA seeks a program manager to coordinate this flagship in-kind medical and relief program at the headquarters location in Washington, DC.
Primary Roles and Responsibilities
- Support a team of eight locally managed in-kind staff in the West Bank, Gaza and Lebanon.
- Solicit, cultivate and manage relationships with in-kind donors, funders, and partners.
- Initiate and track shipments of donated items from point of origin to international destination.
- Monitor and assess program policies, procedures, systems, and personnel in each office.
- Oversee all reporting including shipments progress, management analysis and external reports for donors and partner agencies.
- Produce marketing literature, and success stories, in collaboration with ANERA communications staff.
- Develop annual in-kind budget and track and predict monthly in-kind expenditures.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree, master’s preferred.
- 4-6 years of progressive work experience in the international NGO sector.
- Project management skills, with experience overseeing complex, multifaceted programs which result in measurable successes.
- Knowledge of gifts in-kind; demonstrated experience working on proposals.
- Ability to gather and organize data into reports for the organization’s internal and external use.
- Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy with strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and the ability to interact with a diverse, multi-cultural staff.
- Ability to multi-task and handle multiple priorities in an efficient manner.
- Experience in the Middle East and Arabic language skills preferred.
How to Apply
Send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “In-Kind Program Manager” in the subject line. The deadline for applications for this position is Monday, July 27th.