Join our Team
Communications Assistant in Washington, DC
ANERA, a leader in development and relief specialized in the Middle East and particularly the Palestinian people, seeks a skilled and creative communications assistant to join our team at headquarters in Washington, DC. The successful candidate will play vital role in assisting the communications department in its daily functions and special initiatives that raise funds and promote ANERA’s mission to improve lives of the most vulnerable people in Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon.
This entry-level, full-time position reports to the director of communications and works closely with the director of online giving and strategy as well as the media relations officer. The communications assistant writes, edits, updates and designs print and online materials such as infographics, reports, and website landing pages. S/he also supports ANERA’s search engine marketing efforts (SEO/PPC) and enhances the organization’s presence on Twitter and other social media outlets.
- Collect data from external and internal sources and repurpose for use in reports, publications and special graphics.
- Write text for marketing materials and SEO-driven webpages.
- Using InDesign and other Adobe Creative Suite programs, update existing and create new communications and fundraising materials.
- Put together and disseminate quarterly staff newsletter.
- Regularly monitor and post on ANERA’s Twitter and Facebook accounts.
- Design search-term-specific landing pages supporting Google Adwords pay-per-click ads.
- Edit and post stories on anera.org.
- Assist fundraising team with special requests for marketing collateral for fundraising purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree with a major in communications/marketing, graphic arts, digital media or equivalent, plus two years of experience of using the skills learned, whether in a paid or unpaid, full or part-time capacity
- Demonstrated creative writing skills for print and online marketing
- Demonstrated graphic design skills
- Ability to use Adobe InDesign and Photoshop; knowledge of Illustrator and/or film editing programs a plus
- Sound understanding of marketing principles
- Ability to work, research, and brainstorm ideas independently
- Knowledge of web content management and basic HTML is preferred
- Background and interest in the Middle East/Arab world a plus
How to Apply
Send a letter, resume, and two samples of work to email@example.com with “Application for communications assistant” in the subject line. Interested candidates should apply by November 13, 2014. No calls please.