Join Our Team
Anera looks for skilled and passionate individuals to help us improve the lives of refugees and impoverished families in Palestine and Lebanon.
Anera is one of the oldest American non-profits working solely in Palestine (Gaza and West Bank), Jordan and Lebanon. Strictly non-political and non-religious, Anera delivers humanitarian relief in times of crisis and a range of development programs that have a long-lasting impact on their communities. Program successes in practically every community in Palestine and throughout Lebanon demonstrate the meaningful difference Anera donors are making.
Anera is hiring a full-time new business development (NBD) officer in our Beirut office. This new position will play a pivotal role in expanding Anera’s fundraising and project development efforts to support the continued growth, impact, and sustainability of our Lebanon programs. The NBD officer will report directly to the country director, in close coordination with the global NBD team, as Anera looks to expand its programming and partnerships in Lebanon. The NBD officer will be primarily responsible for fostering partnerships with potential partners, including international, regional, and national funding organizations and will work with the NBD manager to coordinate with the field offices and project managers to write winning proposals and concept notes.
- Network: map donors, research new regional grant opportunities, meet with potential and existing donors to establish and maintain relationships.
- Assess: map current country-level implementers and potential partners, identify gaps, and conduct rapid assessments for new projects.
- Research: conduct and compile information for proposals, including a history of Anera’s previous work, general background on topics addressed in calls for proposals, and context analyses such as official policies and requirements from the UN, EU, etc.
- Provide technical input: coordinate project design (including sections on stakeholder analysis and conceptual frameworks), results frameworks, and project strategies.
- Manage processes: in coordination with the country and NBD teams, manage proposals from start to finish, including proposal calendars, meetings, and deadlines, as well as drafting and finalizing letters of intent, concept notes, and proposals.
- Report: compile and finalize reports for funders, in coordination with program managers, during and following program implementation.
- Liaise between headquarters and country staff/donors: plan site visits, set up meetings with current and potential funders, and coordinate with field staff and project managers when traveling with donors and members of HQ staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (master’s preferred)
- 5+ years of experience in proposal writing, business development, and program design
- High-level proficiency in spoken and written English
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- High-level proficiency with office tools (Microsoft and/or Google Suite) including word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and databases
- Ability to travel both regionally and internationally as needed
- Willingness to work flexible hours based on the needs of both the county office and headquarters
- Previous experience managing development projects with INGOs a plus
- Budgeting and/or project finance experience a plus
How to Apply
Send the following, with the subject line “New Business Development Officer in Lebanon,” to email@example.com by January 20, 2020 (no phone inquiries, please):
- Cover letter
- A list of your previous proposals and your success rate
- The date you would be available to begin work
in Washington, DC
About Anera Internships
Interns at Anera are directly involved in the work of the teams they support, from details to strategic planning. They attend weekly meetings and participate in brainstorming and implementation. It is an opportunity for hands-on experience in fundraising and international development from the viewpoint of a non-profit organization. Depending on which team you support, your work could include dealing with donors, database research for new business development, drafting and/or editing funding proposals, writing and/or editing stories for the website and social media, press releases, or tracking and monitoring in-kind donation deliveries to communities in the Middle East. Ideal internship candidates are resourceful, enterprising and good team players. All interns are expected to handle some clerical duties.
The New Business Development team researches new grant opportunities, writes proposals to secure funding, designs new programming for Anera projects, and compiles reports for donors during and following program implementation. This internship has a start-date of January 13, 2020. Pay is hourly and commensurate upon experience. The ideal candidate will be able to work 35 hours per week; however, hours can be negotiable based on the candidate’s schedule.
The Fall Intern will work with the New Business Development team, assisting members of the team with projects including but not limited to:
- Grant Research – researching new sources of funding and finding calls for proposals.
- Background Research – researching background information for context analyses for proposals.
- Proofreading – assisting the NBD Manager and NBD Program Assistant with the preparation of final documents for new grant applications.
- Archival work – working with the NBD Program Assistant to archive previous NBD grants and files on the shared network drive.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, history, political science, English, or other writing/research-intensive liberal arts degree. Note: College seniors in applicable degree programs that require a semester-long internship will be considered.
- Extensive experience in drafting and writing research papers.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of and interest in the Middle East and Palestine preferred.
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “New Business Development Internship” before or by December 2, 2019:
- Cover letter
- Brief writing sample on a topic relevant to the Middle East or development issues.
- The dates you are available to work
The fundraising team advances the mission of Anera through innovative and project-oriented fundraising activities. The team identifies potential donors and funding sources and drafts proposals, based on our project experience and field expertise.
Interns will help identify potential sources of individual and foundation support. Assist in the development of new and imaginative fundraising approaches, and in preparation of proposals and project plans. Work on logistics, such as travel arrangements or conference calls to assist contact with donors. Help prepare project reports for individual donors; compile, copy and mail documents to board members. Regularly attend team and staff meetings, provide assistance answering phones. Help with maintaining databases to record donor contacts.
Interns also will help research and write/edit relevant reports on Anera programs for publication. Help edit success stories for publication on the website. Assist the communications team in developing informational materials and research media outlets.
- Good writing and editing skills
- Microsoft Office and Excel
- Strong online research skills
- Knowledge of Google Apps (Drive, Calendar, Docs, etc.)
- Database experience a plus
- Ability to use PowerPoint
- Ability to creatively navigate social media, including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Ability to use Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator a real plus
Send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Fundraising and Communications Intern”:
- Cover letter
- Brief writing sample on a topic relevant to the Middle East or development issues
- A list of relevant skills, such as knowledge of Arabic, InDesign, database, WordPress, social media
- The dates you are available to work
Note: Must be a US citizen or permanent resident and have at least two years of college study
Fall: July 15th
Spring: November 15th
Summer: March 15th