Anera (formerly American Near East Refugee Aid) is one of the oldest and largest US non-governmental organizations (NGOs) providing humanitarian assistance and human development programs exclusively focused in the Middle East’s Levant region. Since 1968, Anera has worked with and on behalf of displaced and vulnerable Palestinians, Syrians, Lebanese, Jordanians, and Iraqis. In 2020, with a staff of just over 100, Anera delivered more than $100 million in assistance. Anera is consistently a top-rated charity with the Better Business Bureau, Charity Navigator and Guidestar, and is a trusted partner of the US Agency for International Development (USAID), United Nations agencies, scores of foundations and institutional donors, and thousands of private individual and family donors.
Anera is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Kindly refrain from sending unsolicited resumes. Only apply to jobs that are listed below. Thank you.
Location: Washington, D.C
The Staff Accountant is responsible for ensuring the proper accounting of receipts, invoicing, employee payroll, weekly transactional accounting tasks and payables for the US and Jordan offices. This role maintains records and documentation for accounting and grant management functions and participates in the monthly close-out process by performing various supporting entries and reconciliations. This position is remote but successful candidates must be in D.C area in order to do some in person work at our office.
Position requires 3 days working in the office with 2 working days from home.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with 'Staff Accountant' in subject line
Duties & Responsibilities
- Run electronic bank transactions report weekly to ensure that all bank transactions are properly and promptly recorded
- Reconcile general ledger accounts
- Support the monthly and annual accounting closings and audit, recording depreciation expense and accrual based entries
- Prepare schedules and record journal entries for pension, depreciation, and other asset/liability accounts by compiling and analyzing account information
- Prepare intercompany journal entry advices and submit to the country office and US office accountants
Process and Reconcile Cash Receipts
- Process and record all receipts in the general ledger system
- Design and develop fundraising reports and extract data for analytical and reconciliation purposes
- Create procedures to educate fundraising staff on management of donor data to ensure completeness and integrity of data
- Identify any discrepancies between the fundraising sources and accounting system (Every Action, CRM). Research and identify root causes and communicate discrepancies to fundraising staff for resolution.
- Process all US office and country office, as needed, payable transactions including processing all invoices and payments ensuring accuracy, proper documentation, and approval
- Prepare business compliance filings such as 1099s
- Responsible for collecting all credit card reports from employees, reviewing support documentation, and entering expenses into accounting system on a monthly basis
- Process bi-monthly payroll. Ensure all appropriate benefit deductions, State, Federal, and local tax payments are processed correctly.
- Responsible for set up of new employees, projects, and time off in Replicon (online Timekeeping system) and running monthly and ad hoc reports on timesheets
- Prepare schedule and enter functional allocation of salaries and fringe benefits.
- HSA and 401k processing
Grant Management and Organizational Support
- Assist with gathering restricted grant/donation documentation from the fundraising department.
- Assist with budget entry (administrative and project) into the accounting system
- Create activity codes for approved projects
- Assist in sending out periodic emails and reminders for financial reporting deadlines and deliverables
- Bachelors’ Degree in accounting or equivalent with 2-4 years of experience in financial record keeping methods or accounting or 7- 10 years of accounting experience in place of degree
- Experience with grant and fundraising accounting in a nonprofit organization
- Minimum 2 years experience with payroll and credit card reporting
- Minimum 2 years experience with Abila MIP or equivalent accounting software
- Experience with HSA and 401k processing for payroll
- Experience with finance allocation based on projects
- Intermediate knowledge and experience with Excel and Google Sheets
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems and word processing software
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage multiple ongoing projects at one time
- Must be located in D.C
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to perform sedentary work which includes sitting for long periods of time. Further guidance on physical activities, requirements, visual acuity, and working conditions is available.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics for a standard office environment are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential job responsibilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job responsibilities.
- There is no anticipated travel for this role.
in Washington, DC
About Anera Internships
Interns at Anera are directly involved in the work of the teams they support, from details to strategic planning. They attend weekly meetings and participate in brainstorming and implementation. It is an opportunity for hands-on experience in fundraising and international development from the viewpoint of a non-profit organization. Depending on which team you support, your work could include dealing with donors, database research for new business development, drafting and/or editing funding proposals, writing and/or editing stories for the website and social media, press releases, or tracking and monitoring in-kind donation deliveries to communities in the Middle East. Ideal internship candidates are resourceful, enterprising and good team players. All interns are expected to handle some clerical duties.