Join Our Team
Anera looks for skilled and passionate individuals to help us improve the lives of refugees and impoverished families in Palestine and Lebanon.
Anera is one of the oldest American non-profits working solely in Palestine (Gaza and West Bank) and Lebanon. Strictly non-political and non-sectarian, the organization delivers humanitarian relief in times of crisis and development programs that have a long-lasting impact on refugees and poor communities. In fiscal year 2018, with a staff of 140 professionals, Anera delivered $69.8 million in emergency, health, education and community development programs.
Anera, a leader in development and relief specialized in the Middle East, seeks an experienced budgeting and proposal professional for our Washington, DC headquarters office. The successful candidate will play a vital role in securing new grant funding for Anera programs, with an emphasis on private foundations and institutional donors. The NBD Manager’s responsibilities include prospect research to identify sources of funding and grants opportunities, proposal development, budgeting and pipeline reporting. The NBD manager will also coordinate with overseas and HQ staff and external consultants, in addition the NBD Manager may also assist in the review, editing, and submission of progress reports to funders.
This position is ideal for an experienced, hands-on grants and proposals professional, with knowledge of humanitarian relief and international development funders.
- Lead research efforts to identify potential funders and grant opportunities.
- Solicit grants from private foundations, government and multilateral agencies, and corporations by developing concept papers, letters of inquiry and full proposals.
- Manage all aspects of the proposal development process, including writing, editing, document production, and submission.
- Work with Anera’s overseas staff, to conceptualize and design proposals for new projects and/or amendments to current projects
- Develop and finalize proposals budgets in coordination with overseas staff and HQ finance team.
- Manage Anera’s pipeline reporting, win rate calculations and proposals database.
- Tracks major trends in the marketplace, attending workshops and conferences to ensure relevance of Anera’s NBD’s strategy.
- Represent Anera in external meetings and conferences to raise Anera’s visibility to potential funders and implementing partners.
- Contribute to the overall success of Anera by performing all other essential duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Professional demeanor and experience working on a high-performing team.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, collaborative relationships with HQ and field staff, professional colleagues, and other stakeholders.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational and project management skills that reflect ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks seamlessly with excellent attention to detail.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to take initiative and manage projects assigned through completion with minimal supervision.
- Creative and innovative thinker, who actively presents new opportunities, proposes solutions, and recommends best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to write persuasively and with clarity.
- Excellent English proofreading and editing skills.
- Strong command of MS Office Suite, including high proficiency in Word and Excel, ability and affinity for learning, and fully utilizing software applications and systems.
- Master’s degree in related field.
- Five to seven years of proposal writing, budgeting and grant solicitation experience.
- Successful track record securing grants from private foundation, bilateral/multilateral agencies.
- Knowledge of and experience in the Middle East preferred.
- Overseas international development experience preferred.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, salary expectations, and a writing sample to email@example.com with “Application for New Business Development Manager” in the subject line. Open until filled. We are reviewing applications as they come in and will begin interviews the week of November 4, 2018. No calls please.
Under the direction of the International Grants Manager, the Jr. Staff Accountant provides clerical and grant support for the accounting department. (This position is part time for 20 hours a week.)
- Review budgets for formulas, correct numbers, etc. and to enter budget information into the MIP system.
- Electronically file documentation including contracts, agreements, and budgets.
- Obtain signatures for both invoices and checks and ask any questions for invoices.
- Physical filing of accounting documents such as payables after they are processed.
- Preparing supporting documentation for inter-company journal entries.
- Review RFP’s for terms and highlight requirements for the proposal.
- Assist with copying receipts for financial report and confirm the GL document description. (Check journal entry codes attached to each expense)
- Assist in audit preparation.
- Copy and scan documents as required.
- Perform other related tasks as may be assigned by Supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Detail oriented, with strong organizational, administrative, analytical, and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems preferred.
- Proficiency in spreadsheet and word processing Microsoft software.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with deadlines.
- Ability to deal effectively with staff and good interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of: accounting concepts and practices; financial recordkeeping preferred.
- Methods of performing basic business mathematics calculations.
- Organize workflow and coordinate activities.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- High school graduate or equivalent, with accounting training/courses required.
- Proficient in Microsoft office (especially Excel and Word) and demonstrated ability to input high volumes of data with reasonable speed and accuracy.
- Pleasant phone manner.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
How to Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Application for Junior Staff Accountant" in the subject line. Open until filled. We are reviewing applications as they come in and will begin interviews the week of October 29, 2018.
in Washington, DC
About Anera Internships
Interns at Anera are directly involved in the work of the teams they support, from details to strategic planning. They attend weekly meetings and participate in brainstorming and implementation. It is an opportunity for hands-on experience in fundraising and international development from the viewpoint of a non-profit organization. Depending on which team you support, your work could include dealing with donors, database research for new business development, drafting and/or editing funding proposals, writing and/or editing stories for the website and social media, press releases, or tracking and monitoring in-kind donation deliveries to communities in the Middle East. Ideal internship candidates are resourceful, enterprising and good team players. All interns are expected to handle some clerical duties.
The fundraising team advances the mission of Anera through innovative and project-oriented fundraising activities. The team identifies potential donors and funding sources and drafts proposals, based on our project experience and field expertise.
Interns will help identify potential sources of individual and foundation support. Assist in the development of new and imaginative fundraising approaches, and in preparation of proposals and project plans. Work on logistics, such as travel arrangements or conference calls to assist contact with donors. Help prepare project reports for individual donors; compile, copy and mail documents to board members. Regularly attend team and staff meetings, provide assistance answering phones. Help with maintaining databases to record donor contacts.
Interns also will help research and write/edit relevant reports on Anera programs for publication. Help edit success stories for publication on the website. Assist the communications team in developing informational materials and research media outlets.
- Good writing and editing skills
- Microsoft Office and Excel
- Strong online research skills
- Knowledge of Google Apps (Drive, Calendar, Docs, etc.)
- Database experience a plus
- Ability to use PowerPoint
- Ability to creatively navigate social media, including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Ability to use Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator a real plus
Send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Internship”:
- Cover letter
- Brief writing sample on a topic relevant to the Middle East or development issues
- A list of relevant skills, such as knowledge of Arabic, InDesign, database, WordPress, social media
- The dates you are available to work
Note: Must be a US citizen or permanent resident and have at least two years of college study
Fall: July 15th
Spring: November 15th
Summer: March 15th