Join Our Team
ANERA looks for skilled and passionate individuals to help us improve the lives of refugees and impoverished families in Palestine and Lebanon.
Job Openings - Washington, DC
ANERA is one of the oldest American non-profits working solely in Palestine and Lebanon. Strictly non-political and non-sectarian, the organization delivers humanitarian relief in times of crisis and development programs that have a long-lasting impact on refugees and poor communities. In fiscal year 2017, with a staff of 150 professionals, ANERA delivered $70 million in emergency, health, education and community development programs.
ANERA is seeking an anniversary events coordinator to manage ANERA’s calendar of activities during its 50th anniversary year (2018), including but not limited to our annual gala, a local and regional speakers series, US regional major donor gatherings and iftars, and other events as applicable. This position will be a temporary, full-time position with fixed employment dates for approximately one year, coinciding with ANERA’s anniversary year.
Our ideal candidate is a positive and creative self-starter with experience in planning and implementing a variety of events, programs, and activities. S/he is an effective communicator with a keen attention to detail and strong proactive organizational skills. The candidate has an eye for professional sophistication and elegance in program and event design and implementation with an orientation towards creating value through experience and thrives when balancing multiple tasks simultaneously.
Under the direction of the president/CEO, and in close collaboration and cooperation with senior communications and fundraising staff, the anniversary events coordinator will be responsible for the following and other related duties as needed:
- Manage ANERA’s calendar of activities during its anniversary year, including but not limited to our annual gala, a local (Washington, DC) and regional (US) speakers series, regional major donor gatherings and iftars, and other events as applicable.
- Ensure all ANERA’s programs and events provide valuable content and foster meaningful connections for members and other stakeholders.
- Manage and implement all facets of our programs and events, including but not limited to identification and selection of venues, speakers, topics, and caterers, as well as coordinating registrations, agendas, and setup and break-down as needed.
- Collaborate with ANERA’s senior staff and board to identify possible speakers, moderators, and other special guests.
- Collaborate with communications department regarding marketing and promotion of programs and events.
- Help to design and then adhere to and reconcile budget for events and programs.
- Coordinate with the finance department regarding vendor payments and other transactions.
- Proactively handle any arising issues and troubleshoot any emerging problems surrounding events.
- Evaluate success of programs and events and report on outcomes.
- 2+ years of experience planning and implementing special events or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to be flexible with morning and evening hours as needed.
- Ability to work off-site functions.
Skills and knowledge
- Demonstrated commitment to ANERA’s values and mission
- Familiarity with SalesForce and social media a strong plus
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Google Drive
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects and exercise independent action
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently with staff at varied levels
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- Understanding and familiarity with the region
How to apply
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Be sure to write “Anniversary Events Coordinator” in the subject line. The deadline to apply is January 8, 2018.
Internship Opportunities - Washington, DC
About ANERA Internships
Interns at ANERA are directly involved in the work of the teams they support, from details to strategic planning. They attend weekly meetings and participate in brainstorming and implementation. It is an opportunity for hands-on experience in fundraising and international development from the viewpoint of a non-profit organization. Depending on which team you support, your work could include dealing with donors, database research for new business development, drafting and/or editing funding proposals, writing and/or editing stories for the website and social media, press releases, or tracking and monitoring in-kind donation deliveries to communities in the Middle East. Ideal internship candidates are resourceful, enterprising and good team players. All interns are expected to handle some clerical duties.
The fundraising team advances the mission of ANERA through innovative and project-oriented fundraising activities. The team identifies potential donors and funding sources and drafts proposals, based on our project experience and field expertise.
Interns will help identify potential sources of individual and foundation support. Assist in the development of new and imaginative fundraising approaches, and in preparation of proposals and project plans. Work on logistics, such as travel arrangements or conference calls to assist contact with donors. Help prepare project reports for individual donors; compile, copy and mail documents to board members. Regularly attend team and staff meetings, provide assistance answering phones. Help with maintaining databases to record donor contacts.
Interns also will help research and write/edit relevant reports on ANERA programs for publication. Help edit success stories for publication on the website. Assist the communications team in developing informational materials and research media outlets.
- Good writing and editing skills
- Microsoft Office and Excel
- Strong online research skills
- Knowledge of Google Apps (Drive, Calendar, Docs, etc.)
- Database experience a plus
- Ability to use PowerPoint
- Ability to creatively navigate social media, including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Ability to use Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator a real plus
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Internship”:
- Cover letter
- Brief writing sample on a topic relevant to the Middle East or development issues
- A list of relevant skills, such as knowledge of Arabic, InDesign, database, WordPress, social media
- The dates you are available to work
Note: Must be a US citizen or permanent resident and have at least two years of college study
Fall: July 15th
Spring: November 15th
Summer: March 15th