Join Our Team
Anera looks for skilled and passionate individuals to help us improve the lives of refugees and impoverished families in Palestine and Lebanon.
Job Openings - Washington, DC
Anera is one of the oldest American non-profits working solely in Palestine and Lebanon. Strictly non-political and non-sectarian, the organization delivers humanitarian relief in times of crisis and development programs that have a long-lasting impact on refugees and poor communities. In fiscal year 2017, with a staff of 150 professionals, Anera delivered $70 million in emergency, health, education and community development programs.
We're looking for a media relations pro to tap into all of our great resources and engage more people with our story. This full-time position is in Anera's Washington, DC headquarters office. The role will be pivotal in our small but nimble global communications team that produces a host of substantive content. Over the year, Anera will be commemorating our 50th anniversary and refreshing our brand, so this is an exciting time to join our team!
Our media relations officer will have a traditional journalist's approach to research and outreach as well as a savviness for writing digital content for optimal affect in the online world.
- Manage all aspects of The Olive Press, Anera's blog: conceptualizing, writing, editing and promoting the content.
- Write and distribute press releases, pitches, media alerts and op-eds to secure coverage of Anera news.
- Maintain and oversee a list of global media contacts working on subjects relevant to Anera's sphere of work.
- Monitor traditional and online media for opportunities to insert Anera into relevant conversations and report back to staff on key news issues.
- Edit texts submitted from field offices for use in digital and print vehicles.
- Work with communications team colleagues to ensure optimal integration of new texts and blog posts with social media, marketing and print efforts.
- With a team, regularly update and engage with audiences on Anera's Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn pages.
- Monitor media coverage across digital and print media in both English and Arabic
- Arrange media interviews for the president and subject matter experts.
- Place Arabic stories in Arabic papers in regions targeted for outreach.
- Mentor and train overseas staff on media outreach and best practices.
- Build contacts and seek out opportunities for speaking events and other activities with other like-minded organizations.
- Minimum of five years of related experience, with three to five years specifically in media roles
- Proven ability to write compelling news stories, op-eds and digital media content
- Established, active list of media contacts in a variety of media outlets
- Demonstrated understanding of Palestinian and Lebanese history, politics, and current events
- Knowledge of how to evaluate usefulness, target audiences, and appropriate messaging for both new and traditional media communication channels
- Ability to speak and write in Arabic is strongly preferred
- A bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field
- Demonstrated competence in social media platforms such as Twitter and LinkedIn.
How to apply
Send a cover letter, resume and link(s) to examples of your work to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to write “Media Relations Officer” in the subject line. Position open until filled.
Internship Opportunities - Washington, DC
About Anera Internships
Interns at Anera are directly involved in the work of the teams they support, from details to strategic planning. They attend weekly meetings and participate in brainstorming and implementation. It is an opportunity for hands-on experience in fundraising and international development from the viewpoint of a non-profit organization. Depending on which team you support, your work could include dealing with donors, database research for new business development, drafting and/or editing funding proposals, writing and/or editing stories for the website and social media, press releases, or tracking and monitoring in-kind donation deliveries to communities in the Middle East. Ideal internship candidates are resourceful, enterprising and good team players. All interns are expected to handle some clerical duties.
The fundraising team advances the mission of Anera through innovative and project-oriented fundraising activities. The team identifies potential donors and funding sources and drafts proposals, based on our project experience and field expertise.
Interns will help identify potential sources of individual and foundation support. Assist in the development of new and imaginative fundraising approaches, and in preparation of proposals and project plans. Work on logistics, such as travel arrangements or conference calls to assist contact with donors. Help prepare project reports for individual donors; compile, copy and mail documents to board members. Regularly attend team and staff meetings, provide assistance answering phones. Help with maintaining databases to record donor contacts.
Interns also will help research and write/edit relevant reports on Anera programs for publication. Help edit success stories for publication on the website. Assist the communications team in developing informational materials and research media outlets.
- Good writing and editing skills
- Microsoft Office and Excel
- Strong online research skills
- Knowledge of Google Apps (Drive, Calendar, Docs, etc.)
- Database experience a plus
- Ability to use PowerPoint
- Ability to creatively navigate social media, including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Ability to use Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator a real plus
Send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Internship”:
- Cover letter
- Brief writing sample on a topic relevant to the Middle East or development issues
- A list of relevant skills, such as knowledge of Arabic, InDesign, database, WordPress, social media
- The dates you are available to work
Note: Must be a US citizen or permanent resident and have at least two years of college study
Fall: July 15th
Spring: November 15th
Summer: March 15th