Join Our Team
Anera looks for skilled and passionate individuals to help us improve the lives of refugees and impoverished families in Palestine and Lebanon.
Anera is one of the oldest American non-profits working in Palestine and Lebanon. Strictly non-political and non-sectarian, the organization delivers humanitarian relief in times of crisis and development programs that have a long-lasting impact on refugees and poor communities. In fiscal year 2017, with a staff of 150 professionals, Anera delivered $70 million in emergency, health, education and community development programs.
in Washington, DC
About Anera Internships
Interns at Anera are directly involved in the work of the teams they support, from details to strategic planning. They attend weekly meetings and participate in brainstorming and implementation. It is an opportunity for hands-on experience in fundraising and international development from the viewpoint of a non-profit organization. Depending on which team you support, your work could include dealing with donors, database research for new business development, drafting and/or editing funding proposals, writing and/or editing stories for the website and social media, press releases, or tracking and monitoring in-kind donation deliveries to communities in the Middle East. Ideal internship candidates are resourceful, enterprising and good team players. All interns are expected to handle some clerical duties.
Supervisor: International Grants Manager
Employees Supervised: None
FLSA Category: Non-Exempt
Under the direction of the International Grants Manager, the Jr. Staff Accountant provides clerical and grant support for the accounting department. (This position is 16 hours a week, preferably 3 days a week for 4 hours each day; 10 am to 2 pm)
- Review budgets for formulas, correct numbers, etc. and to enter budget information into the MIP system.
- Electronically file documentation including contracts, agreements, and budgets.
- Obtain signatures for both invoices and checks and ask any questions for invoices.
- Physical filing of accounting documents such as payables after they are processed.
- Preparing supporting documentation for inter-company journal entries.
- Review RFP’s for terms and highlight requirements for the proposal.
- Assist with copying receipts for financial report and confirm the GL document description. (Check journal entry codes attached to each expense)
- Assist in audit preparation.
- Copy and scan documents as required.
- Perform other related tasks as may be assigned by Supervisor.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Detail oriented, with strong organizational, administrative, analytical, and customer service skills.
- Knowledge of automated accounting systems preferred.
- Proficiency in spreadsheet and word processing Microsoft software.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks with deadlines.
- Ability to deal effectively with staff and good interpersonal skills.
- Working knowledge of: accounting concepts and practices; financial recordkeeping preferred.
- Methods of performing basic business mathematics calculations.
- Organize workflow and coordinate activities.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- High school graduate or equivalent, with accounting training/courses required.
- Proficient in Microsoft office (especially Excel and Word) and demonstrated ability to input high volumes of data with reasonable speed and accuracy.
- Pleasant phone manner.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Jr. Staff Accountant Internship”:
- Cover letter
- Days and times you are available to work
Note: Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
The fundraising team advances the mission of Anera through innovative and project-oriented fundraising activities. The team identifies potential donors and funding sources and drafts proposals, based on our project experience and field expertise.
Interns will help identify potential sources of individual and foundation support. Assist in the development of new and imaginative fundraising approaches, and in preparation of proposals and project plans. Work on logistics, such as travel arrangements or conference calls to assist contact with donors. Help prepare project reports for individual donors; compile, copy and mail documents to board members. Regularly attend team and staff meetings, provide assistance answering phones. Help with maintaining databases to record donor contacts.
Interns also will help research and write/edit relevant reports on Anera programs for publication. Help edit success stories for publication on the website. Assist the communications team in developing informational materials and research media outlets.
- Good writing and editing skills
- Microsoft Office and Excel
- Strong online research skills
- Knowledge of Google Apps (Drive, Calendar, Docs, etc.)
- Database experience a plus
- Ability to use PowerPoint
- Ability to creatively navigate social media, including Facebook, LinkedIn, and Twitter
- Ability to use Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator a real plus
Send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Internship”:
- Cover letter
- Brief writing sample on a topic relevant to the Middle East or development issues
- A list of relevant skills, such as knowledge of Arabic, InDesign, database, WordPress, social media
- The dates you are available to work
Note: Must be a US citizen or permanent resident and have at least two years of college study
Fall: July 15th
Spring: November 15th
Summer: March 15th