Join Our Team
Anera looks for skilled and passionate individuals to help us improve the lives of refugees and impoverished families in Palestine and Lebanon.
Anera (formerly American Near East Refugee Aid) is one of the oldest and largest US non-governmental organizations (NGOs) providing humanitarian assistance and human development programs exclusively focused in the Middle East’s Levant region. Since 1968, Anera has worked with and on behalf of displaced and vulnerable Palestinians, Syrians, Lebanese, Jordanians, and Iraqis. In 2020, with a staff of just over 100, Anera delivered more than $100 million in assistance. Anera is consistently a top-rated charity with the Better Business Bureau, Charity Navigator and Guidestar, and is a trusted partner of the US Agency for International Development (USAID), United Nations agencies, scores of foundations and institutional donors, and thousands of private individual and family donors.
Anera is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Requests for Proposals
Anera is requesting proposals from firms or individuals who can help us with program design and fundraising strategy for our infrastructure work in Palestine, Lebanon and Jordan. Please spread the word to your networks about this great opportunity.
For nearly 55 years, Anera has addressed the needs of refugees and other disadvantaged communities in Palestine, Lebanon and Jordan. By responding to the basic needs of those we serve, Anera fills a gap in access to the basic services that so many of us take for granted each day.
One strategic area of focus for Anera is the development of community infrastructure. Anera provides solutions to development challenges in concert with local partners through the repair and enhancement of water and sanitation networks and wastewater reuse facilities; construction of schools, health clinics and community centers; and the development of clean energy solutions.
We are committed to continuing to build critical infrastructure in our areas of service, in part by expanding on current efforts. In order to maximize the capacity of existing staff, we are seeking one or more partners who can support the assessment and planning of projects, as well as the construction and submission of proposals to funding partners.
Anera is requesting information from qualified individuals or organizations interested in supporting our work. We invite responses that outline the respondent’s abilities in the following areas:
- Experience working in and availability to work with international development teams on the ground in Palestine, Lebanon and Jordan.
- A successful track record of designing, submitting and winning multi-sectoral proposals that involve several stakeholders for institutional donors, such as USAID, BPRM, UN agencies, Islamic Relief and others.
- Ability to design and lead needs assessments as necessary.
- Understanding of infrastructure needs in the region and an ability to support the creation of emerging or innovative approaches.
- Ability to create and drive the overall strategy of proposal development, working with the program team on concepts, theory of change, and result frameworks.
- Program development or management experience.
- Strong project management skills.
We invite all prospective partners to submit a response at a length and detail that adeptly, but concisely demonstrate qualifications. High-level questions and submissions may be directed to Anera’s Chief Development Officer Derek Madsen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Responses due by 8/26/2022.
Kindly refrain from sending unsolicited resumes. Only apply to jobs that are listed below. Thank you.
Position type: Full Time/Hourly/Non-Exempt
Salary: $24.50/hour ~ $44,590/year with benefits
Location: Must be in Washington, DC Metropolitan Area for hybrid work
Are you interested in making a difference in the lives of refugees and others in the Middle East? We are looking for a team player who can be part of a growing organization that works with marginalized communities and refugees in Palestine, Lebanon and Jordan. This position is an integral part of the fundraising team and is responsible for managing data entry and data integrity, gift processing, acknowledgements and reporting for Anera’s fundraising efforts, as well as supporting other activities of the fundraising team. This is a non-exempt, hourly position with ability to travel to our D.C office on a hybrid schedule.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure the timely processing and acknowledgement of donations and data entry for all cash and non-cash gifts received through the mail or otherwise. Coordinate closely with Anera’s finance department to ensure proper designation of all restricted gifts and grants, including around the creation of new general ledger codes.
- Manage pass-through donations, including coordination with Anera’s field staff.
- Conduct weekly and quarterly background checks in both OFAC and SAM databases on individuals and organizations to ensure compliance with US regulations.
- Help maintain accuracy of donor constituent files and ensure overall cleanliness and completeness of Anera’s CRM system.
- Generate analytical donor reports, database queries, prospect research and donor lists as necessary in Anera’s CRM and wealth screening software.
- Provide back-up for other fundraising and office staff when needed with telephone and constituent correspondence, including managing Anera’s main email address.
- Assist in managing workplace giving relationships through donor reporting, wire transfer applications, and matching funds applications.
- Assist in drafting and editing Anera’s fundraising appeals and general communications.
- Assist the fundraising and communications teams on general fundraising mailings, special events and projects as needed.
Skills and Knowledge
- Experience in non-profit fundraising and CRM systems preferred
- Strong commitment to accuracy and database integrity.
- Familiarity with non-profit fundraising strategies, particularly vis-à-vis donor data best practices.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and exercise independent action.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently with staff at varied levels.
- Experience with EveryAction CRM and wealth screening software a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, but not required
- Proficiency in Google Workspace and a demonstrated ability to perform mail-merge functions preferred
- Live in Washington, DC metropolitan area and able to be in office on a hybrid schedule (2-3 days per week)
How to apply
Send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Application for Development Database Assistant” in the subject line. No calls please.
Anera is one of the oldest American non-profits working solely in Palestine and Lebanon. Strictly non-political and non-religious, this $60-million organization delivers humanitarian relief in times of crisis and a range of development programs that have a long-lasting impact on their communities. Program successes in practically every community in Palestine and all throughout Lebanon demonstrate the meaningful difference Anera donors are making.
in Washington, DC
About Anera Internships
Interns at Anera are directly involved in the work of the teams they support, from details to strategic planning. They attend weekly meetings and participate in brainstorming and implementation. It is an opportunity for hands-on experience in fundraising and international development from the viewpoint of a non-profit organization. Depending on which team you support, your work could include dealing with donors, database research for new business development, drafting and/or editing funding proposals, writing and/or editing stories for the website and social media, press releases, or tracking and monitoring in-kind donation deliveries to communities in the Middle East. Ideal internship candidates are resourceful, enterprising and good team players. All interns are expected to handle some clerical duties.